Friday, November 23, 2007

Just a l'il somethin' to jumpstart the weekend right quick

What manner of appellation does one apply to these musical morsels by Maxwell Udoh, former lead singer of the Doves of Calabar?*

Regardless of what the label may say, this is no average record: t's a little bit makossa, a little bit Nico Mbarga, a little bit discolypso, a little synthpop, and it's all held together by funky basslines that pop with such viciousness that they'll crunch your spinal cord if you don't take your time.

I don't know what to call this sound but what I do know is that if this shit here don't make you jump up even a little bit, well...

I have some unfortunate news. I-I don't know how to break it to you, but...

looks away soulfully; takes deep breath.

...You're dead.

I'm sorry. We did everything we could.

Don't Make Me Wait Too Long

This Is No Way (To Say Goodbye)


*Someone requested some of their material recently, right? I'll be getting to that soon enough, trust!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tracks. Do you have anything else by The Doves of Calabar, like their hit song " The Lord is My Shepherd?"

Comb & Razor said...

yes, i do... i'll post "The Lord is My Shepherd" (and maybe some other Doves tracks) on Friday.